At The Law Center, we understand that LGBT partners and their children are often treated more like contractual partners than what they really are: life partners and families. As attorneys, we are familiar with the legal challenges facing non-traditional families. We can help you create a life and estate plan to best fit your situation. Our lawyers are dedicated to finding creative solutions and options for securing and protecting same-sex families and their assets.
- Beneficiary designations
- Property titles
- Estate and gift tax planning
- Guardianships of minor children
- Powers of attorney for health care and finances
- Living wills
- HIPAA releases
- Healthcare facility visitation documents
- Domestic partnership, commitment and cohabitation agreements
- Co-parenting agreements
- Joint property ownership planning
- Name changes
In addition, we are experienced in issues that must be considered in non-marital life and estate planning. For example, have you considered:
- How to avoid jeopardizing the legal status of the non-biological or non-adoptive parent to the children in life and estate planning documents?
- How to create an estate plan that includes life insurance and other assets to minimize court involvement for your partner and children after your death?
- How to position you or your partner so you are treated as “next of kin” in a health crisis?
- How to manage your assets to avoid gift taxes and other unintended consequences?